The Barlow-Salmons replaced the Clarke Shield Trophy in 1974. Two of the players from the Don & Dearne’s representative team (Frank Barlow & Geoff Salmons) donated this trophies.
The Clarke Shield (1959-approx.1974) was for those schools knocked out in the early rounds of the Totty Cup. At some stage it may have been awarded for the runners up in the Totty Cup. It was named in memory of Herbert Clarke (Secretary of the Don & Dearne Football Association. He was also chairman of English Schools FA in 1966).
At about the turn of the millenium, the Barlow-Salmons became a competition for those knocked out of the semi-finals of the Totty Cup. Information on the Totty Cup is on a separate website – click here.
As well as documenting the history of these competitions, it is hoped that some of the gaps will be filled by some of those who have played in the competition throughout the years.
Frank & Geoff
Both of these players look back with fond memories of their days spent with Don & Dearne at both Junior and Secondary level and were only too willing to put something back into the association which started them on the road to their professional careers.
If you have anymore information on the missing finals,or previous rounds, please fill in the Contact Form below.